Giraffe - Digital Drawing

The goofy look on this giraffe face was what drew me to the picture to draw it. I must say I am not enjoying it as much as I had hoped, but still it is a good exercise in getting back to doing more 'finished' art again.

 I'm using Artrage for this.

Starting with a quick line drawing blocking in major shapes and colour areas.



Blocking the colours  - the reference picture is right next to me.




Next I added the background to help with values.




One can just barely make out the texture of the paint on the background. I used my usual 'recipe' for making dark colours/backgrounds like this : green, blue, red and sometimes a little black.



My custom colour palette.


Adding details to the eyes. I like that I can zoom right in to see exactly what I'm doing. It sure helps prevent eye strain!



 A blend of different colours for the forehead.




This is where I am at now. I've only done some initial colour on the neck, lots more to do there.
I'm working from the head down adding detail.



All I need is a fine audio book to keep me sitting at the computer and this will be done in a few more sittings! (Reference photo is from the Wetcanvas Image Library)

Comments

Popular Posts